Wednesday 12 September 2012

Too busy....

The last few weeks have been a bit crazy, far too much going on and too much work to do! Retirement wasn't supposed to be like this, was it?

Hence the lack of entries on this blog, but I hope to catch up in the next week or two as there's lots of interesting stuff going on in the university world. I've been reading lots, but have had no time to write anything for a while.

So what's my 'excuse', what's been keeping me so busy?

The problem really is that I like being retired not because I want to sit around doing nothing very much, but because it gives me the freedom to do what I want without worrying about teaching schedules, university bureaucracy, and the like. However, the world is such an interesting place that there seems to be an endless stream of potential projects and activities - some purely academic (and hence unpaid), and some taking the form of consultancy projects (and hence paid) - involving a variety of countries. And my main weakness is that when interesting things come along, I'm still not very good at saying 'no'.

Recent projects have been on North Korea (paper written and already published), study of investment in Kuwait (completed and approved), the Falkland Islands (on going), and on the UK's experience of the Private Finance Initiative (on going). Next week, however, I'll be a guest of the Budapest Corvinus University in Hungary, with only one lecture to deliver and otherwise a fairly light schedule. So I plan to use some of my time there catching up with University Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment